Students are strongly encouraged to make appointments to be seen by a Student Health Services medical provider. Same day and walk-in appointments are often available, but not guaranteed.
Advantages of making an appointment include:
- Reducing your wait time.
- Seeing the provider of your choice.
- Scheduling a visit at a time that is convenient for you.
- Seeing the same provider you have seen before for a problem (continuity of care).
The following are eligible to use the services and programs of SHS:
- Full and part-time* students who are currently enrolled at the University of Kansas, including the Lawrence Campus, Edwards Campus and the University of Kansas Medical Center.
- Full and part-time students who are currently enrolled at Baker University.
- Student spouses and/or domestic partners are eligible for the same services as currently enrolled students. The student must accompany the spouse/domestic partner on the initial visit and fill out a Spousal/Domestic Partner Guarantor form. Any services rendered to the spouse/domestic partner will be charged at the Non-Health Fee Paid Rate.
- KU faculty, staff and retirees are eligible to use the pharmacy, laboratory, radiology, physical therapy, allergy and immunization clinic and travel health services with a written order from an outside physician.
- Participants of KU hosted camps.
For more information on Eligibility for Services,click here.top
SHS offers 3 options for seeing a medical provider:
- Make an appointment online through the Log Into mySHS portal.
- Call (785) 864-9507 to schedule an appointment.
Walk-in without an appointment for conditions that need to be treated as soon as possible.
Click here for Walk-in Clinic hours.
Check in at the reception desk in the main lobby. The first available provider will see you as soon as possible. Wait time can vary. Patients with scheduled appointments may be seen before you, even if you have been waiting longer. (Remember, when you call to make an appointment in advance, your wait time at SHS will be reduced.)
When setting your appointment, have your class schedule available as well as your KU ID number. It is important to be specific about your needs so that you can be scheduled with the appropriate health care provider for the necessary amount of time. Please check in at the Registration Desk at least 15 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time.
Plan to arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your appointment time to accommodate for parking, possible lines and to complete the registration process. Patients arriving past their appointment time may be rescheduled to another time or considered to be a walk-in.
When checking in, you will be asked for your KU Identification Card (or other government-issued photo ID) and current insurance card if you would like SHS to bill your health insurance. Health insurance is not required, but a photo ID is.
Once the check-in process is completed, you will be directed to the waiting area or nurse's station and the medical provider will be notified of your arrival.
To benefit most from your talks with our medical providers, take an active part in the exchange. Ask questions. Write them down beforehand if you wish. Don't feel rushed. If you do not feel that your questions are being answered, say so and restate your specific needs. Many people feel anxious about seeing a doctor and find it difficult to discuss their health concerns openly. If this happens to you, preface your talk with your practitioner by explaining how you feel. The professional yet relaxed atmosphere at Student Health Services is intended to be a positive experience for you.
Please cancel through your Kyou Portal account or call the SHS appointment line at (785) 864-9507 if you are unable to keep your appointment, so that the appointment slot can be utilized by another student. There is a charge for appointments not canceled at least two (2) hours in advance. If you need to cancel an early morning appointment, you must call the evening before to avoid the cancellation fee. You may leave a message on the SHS voicemail system, which is activated after normal business hours. Please leave your name, KUID number, appointment date and time.
Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Please Note: Hours may vary when class is not in session. Click here for the latest business hours.
24/7 Nurse Helpline: